Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Thank You God for Making Me Gay

I've noticed the topic of gay hating gays does not get much attention despite is running rampant all around me. There was the infamous post by another blog titled "My problems the Bear Community" that used a picture of (the always wonderful) Mark and Ami as it's poster children. While I respect everyone's right to their own opinion, part of me has to wonder, why all the hate and negativity? I'm not excluded though. I've wanted to write a passionate post about the internalized homophobia that exists in the 'butch' gay community. However it occurred to me that a long winded diatribe bashing our community is not the best way to fight against hating on fellow gays. Instead I'm choosing the road less traveled and I'm going to focus on the positive. Rarely are there articles written about why gay men are wonderful. The few that do slip in are usually written by straight women and full of outdated cliches. That's why I wanted to give you some of the reasons why I'm proud to being gay.


Community- I love the community feel that exists amongst gay people. It's almost family like. When I was in college I lived in a special dorm specifically for gay and lesbian students. There were students of every background, gender, and sexual orientation. Our bathroom was co-ed so transgender students felt more comfortable. It was a wonderful atmosphere to be in. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't sunshine and rainbows all the time. Get a bunch of hormonal queer students together and there's bound to be some fighting. However when it really counted, we knew we could depend on each other for support. Fun Fact: RuPaul's Drag Race star JuJubee lived across the hall from me for much of my time there.


RuPaul- He deserves a shout out for being a fierce drag queen for more then 20 years. He also deserves credit for simply sticking around. When Supermodel (You better work) was released in 1993, I wounder how many people predicted he'd still be famous two decades later. Then after a very long career he managed to create RuPaul's Drag Race on the Logo Network and bring his style and comedy to a whole new generation. Drag Race is also responsible for great gay slang like No Tea No Shade, Throwing Shade, Realness, 'Reading' someone and Shante You Stay. RuPaul will outlast us all.





Culture- I don't consider myself to be on the cutting edge of gay/pop culture. At best I'm an early adopter but nothing ground breaking. If you asked most gay men I think they would agree and say the same thing. However we all take for granted that gay men generally like things first. My mid level cultural knowledge is actually genius level when compared to my straight counterparts. Music, fashion, technology, and entertainment tend to processes through our community a lot quicker. This is made shockingly clear when, for example, a straight co-worker asks you about a 'new song' they've been listening to and want to pass along to you. Your interest is peaked until you realize she's talking about Blurred Lines. You quickly remember that in her world Dancing with the Star is trendy and the Bachelor topical. She'll be lucky if she discovers Grumpy Cat by Christmas.


Bears- I love the bear community. There simply isn't a better group of guys. Bears are by far the most fun people you'll ever want to hang out with. They drink, they eat, they party, they fuck, they travel... and all in large groups. They live life to the fullest. I love a big bellied butch bear who looks like a lumberjack yet can still sing every note from Wicked and suck a great cock. These large hairy gay men have created their own world and even have an extensive travel circuit of bear runs to keep them busy. The gay world is small and the bear world is even smaller. God forbid you're ever lost in a foreign country, find the nearest denim/leather bar you'll quickly find at least three people who've fucked half your Facebook friends list.



Effeminate Men- Flamers, sissies, girly boys, fags, Jack McFarland. Gurl... I love a big queen. I feel a natural kinship with flaming queens. I'm somewhat effeminate myself and yet I'm still much more butch compared to when I was little. When I was in 4th grade I would practice my runway walk while heading to the bus stop every morning. (True story) The logo for the Gay Gasp is the image of me when I was young giving my most fabulous of poses. Also butch guys have no idea how much shit effeminate men have had to endure their entire life for simply being who they are. They have never been able to 'pass' or blend into a crowd. Like me, they were called a girl as early as kinder garden. They were the ones who were fighting for our rights long before it was popular and cool. Remember, a large part of the crowd who fought back during the Stonewall Riots where in fact
drag queens.

Ellen DeGeneres (and other trail blazing celebrities)- Even though I don't watch her daytime show, I have to give a shout out to Ellen because she is a great example of a rail blazing celebrity who came out at a time when it wasn't easy. She did it at a time when had everything to lose but felt that honestly was more important. Some celebrities have come out as gay after their career has peeked. Ellen on the other hand made a statement and broke down doors coming out as gay on her self-titled hit prime time sitcom. After surviving a firestorm of controversy she has come back and is at the top of her game. She's lesbian royalty.


Sex- What can I say... gay sex is just so much better. Can you imagine being a poor heterosexual man who has to deal with all the bullshit women put them through before sex is ever talked about? You might not like to admit it but one of the best moments on earth is when you have a man hard cock down your throat. It's truly a religious experience. I guess that's an important difference between men and women, gay and straight. Women suck cock as a favor. Men suck cock because they love it. And that's just the tip of the iceberg. Rimming is superb. Fucking is spectacular. Two men know what they want and how to get it. Hell we've even developed an array of apps just to find other horny guys near by. Could it get any better? Yes it can! Gay men also love taking pictures and videos of the sex they have to share with the world.


For these reasons and many more, I say THANK YOU GOD FOR MAKING ME GAY!


1 comment:

  1. very well written! But i want to see those pictures you speak of ;-)

    ReplyDelete