Sunday, May 13, 2012

Florence and the Machine

The first concert I ever went to was Kool and the Gang at the Oakdale Theater when I was very very young. Since then I've seen some very memorable shows but I wouldn't consider myself an avid concert goer. If someone I really like comes to town I'll consider buying a ticket but it's rare. Then after I've seen them once, I usually don't feel the need to ever see them again. For Madonna it took two tours for me to cross her off my list. In the past I've seen: Justin Timberlake, Christina Aguilera, Madonna, Britney Spears, Barenaked Ladies, Pearl Jam, Salt-n-Pepa, the Cranberries, Marilyn Manson, Destiny's Child, Stone Temple Pilots, Hole, Nicki Minaj, New Kids on the Block (when they first came out, not the reunion tour) Jessica Simpson, Lady Gaga, and Tori Amos. I would see more shows but ticket prices are outrageous.  A ticket for a major artist can cost $100 for the worst seats in the house and over $300 for the floor. I can't justify paying hundreds of dollars for someone I don't absolutely love. For the record, the most money I ever spent on a ticket was to see Madonna. Worth it!

This past Friday Florance and the Machine came to Mohegan Sun and tickets started at $50. I love F+M and $50 is a perfect ticket price. Would I have paid $100 to see them? NO. Unfortunately I heard about the show late and all the tickets were sold out. Luckily two friends of mine, Bob and Jeff, are concert fanatics. Concerts for them are what cloths are for me...an addiction. They gave me the best insider tip: If a concert is ever sold out, wait until the day of the event to look for tickets. Specifically at noon or 4pm the box office usually released a lot of the seats they've been holding back for concert promoters and give aways. I was patient and waited until Friday on my lunch break. Wouldn't you know it, suddenly there were a plethora of seat available.
 
 
I didn't know what to expect from the show and therefore I didn't have an any expectations. The last concert I saw was Britney Spears' Femme Fatale tour at the Harford Civic Center and the only reason I went was because Groupon had tickets for $30. It was a fun show, but to say my expectations were low is like saying Antarctica gets a little chilly. I don't care that she lip synced the entire time because the point of Britney is not her voice. In all the words used to describe her, vocal talent is not on the list. I tend to go for show woth big production values. (Madonna, Gaga, etc) With that being said, I haven't seen a show from a performer who is truly a good singer in a very long time. When Florence Welch came out and started to sing I was stunned. Her voice is just as powerful in person as it is on the album. She was shockingly good. She didn't have to strain or force it, she simply opened her mouth and her power house vocal cords took over. Stunning. The set was art deco yet simple but Welch's personality and exuberance was intoxicating. She seemed generally happy and excited to be performing for us. I can't speak more highly of Florence and the Machine. If you are a genuine fan of their music make an effort to see them live. You won't regret it.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment