Saturday, February 16, 2013

The Story of a T-shirt


Store: Alexander McQueen

Year of purchase: 2010

Price: $99 (on sale from $199

Location: the Wynn Hotel in Las Vegas, Nevada

Design: A metamucil pink t-shirt with skull design. The skull is made of up naked women's bodies.

My favorite item of clothing is a t-shirt and here is the store of how it came into my life.

It was January of 2010 and I was a Store Manager for Oakley. For their yearly conference, the company flew every store manager out to Las Vegas for 3 days. We stayed at the newly opened Aria hotel and were brought to see O by Cirque du Soleil, all on the company's dime. As you can imagine they kept us busy for almost every minute of our day so it was difficult to break away from the pack. On the closing night of the conference they had a big costume party. The theme was Saturday Night Live (side note: It's a GREAT theme for a costume party if you ever have one) and I went dressed as Mary Katherine Gallagher. I ate, laughed, and joked but all the while in the back of my head I knew this was my one and only shot to sneak away. After about an hour I slipped out of the party, changed out of my wig and plaid skirt, and started my journey to the Wynn. A couple years before, I was vacationing in Vegas and found the Alexander McQueen store quit by accident. I had already spent my money on a Fendi key chain so I could only look and drool over the fabulous merchandise. Another side note: I'm still using that Fendi key chain to this day. Now that I was back in Vegas I was not going to let the opportunity pass me by. I was going to buy something by my all-time favorite designer Alexander McQueen. When I got to the store I expected to buy a key chain or other small accessory item because I did not think they would have an item of clothing that 1. I could fit into and 2. I could afford. But when I passed by the men's sale rack this t-shirt practically jumped out at me. It was perfect in every way. It was the ultimate combination of design, personal expression, and brand loyalty and IT WAS ON SALE! There was no hesitation as I took out my credit card, hell it was cheaper then the key chain. I practically skipped back to my hotel room.

As you can see, I still have the shirt 3 years later. Whenever I put it on I still feel that same joy I did when I first saw it. I also save the pretty gray embossed shopping bag it came it complete with monogrammed tissue paper and ribbon.

P.S. Yes, this is another post about a t-shirt with ANOTHER self picture of me in said t-shirt. But the best part of this entire post is that I've been typing it from my boyfriend's bed while he quietly sleeps beside me. Bliss. A wonderful Saturday afternoon.


.

No comments:

Post a Comment