Friday, September 2, 2011

30



I'm 30 today. In honor of the milestone birthday I decided to take a look back to my childhood and tell the story of the Gay Gasp logo. The logo comes from this picture taken in Disney World when I was about 10 or 11. My family was on vacation staying at the Dixie Landings Hotel. I remember the Southern style resort was enormous and spread out over several acres with plantation style buildings that housed the guest rooms. Because Disney goes all out with a theme, there were also guest rooms located in the 'servants' quarters. I always thought that was strange. Who wants to go on vacation and stay in the servant's house?

The picture was taken on the walk back from the pool. I love this picture because after it was taken my parents never said anything about my pose. My mom snapped the picture and we continued back to our room as normal. They never made me feel like there was anything wrong with me. No one ever said "Don't do that, you're acting like a girl." Mind you, this picture was taken after years of playing with Barbies, paper dolls, and dressing up in my sister's cloths. I wonder if my parents saw the writing on the wall and decided not to fight it. Either way I thank them from the bottom of my heart.

Here's to turning 30 and starting a new decade and a new phase of my life. Hooray!

.

No comments:

Post a Comment