Thursday, August 25, 2011

9/11 Memorial


On September 12, 2011 the 9/11 Memorial Opens to the public. Unfortunatly I haven't followed the progress of the memorial over the past ten years. I knew there was a competition to find the winning design but I never took the time to find out what the designs actually were. For some reason I was under the impression that another large skyscraper was being built in place of the Twin Towers. A building that exemplified the idea that "from the ashes a pheonix will rise." My assumption was wrong and I am pleasantly surprised with the finished project.

The winning design is two large fountains in the foot print of each tower. Not what I expected, but in the best possible way. Surrounding each foundtain are the names of the victims who died. I think it's a wonderful moving tribute that also looks amazing. New York is full of tall buildings that stretch high into the sky and I love that the planners went in the opposite direction. Other then avoiding a man hole or puddle, how often do you look down in the city? Anything worth looking at is usually above your head. I've always been a fan of contrast and the soft green trees and peacful fountains are a perfect contrast to the steel and concrete buildings that surround the area. The next time I am in New York I'll have to try and take a side trip to see the memorial in person.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment