Thursday, April 4, 2013

Movie Reviews

Olympus Has Fallen- When we went to see this movie my choices were between it and GI Joe. I kind of wanted to see Olympus Has Fallen but I really didn't want to see GI Joe. The plot was a bit predictable but it had enough action and drama to keep you engaged. At one point Morgan Freeman takes over as acting president. I honestly thought to myself, "Well of course, Morgan Freeman is always the president." Over all I liked OHF, it was everything you expect it to be and Gerard Butler is well cast as the hero. I'd recommend seeing in the theater only because action movies are always better in the theater. Its enjoyable and entertaining but it won't be winning any awards.

The Incredible Burt Wonderstone- My sister and I had a free night when we were in Florida visiting our parents. We decided to see a movie but our choices were limited. I suggested Burt Wonderstone because it was the best of the bunch and I thought it might turn out to be an unexpected funny movie. Jim Carrey saves the movie by outshining Steve Carell. All of Carell's funniest moments are shown in the preview. The movie is heart warming and sweet but is (very) light on laugh out loud moments. Save it for Netflix or a free HBO weekend.

Game Change- I know I'm extremely late on this one but I didn't see the Sarah Palin story until this past weekend. The movie was well done and Julianne Moore was great but the story was painful to watch. Palin was so unprepared and unqualified that I felt sorry for her. I don't know enough about politics to know how accurate the facts were. If it was true... YIKES.

Girls- I've heard nothing but praise for Lena Dunham's show about 20 something girls living in New York. I started at the beginning and watched the very first episode. It was awful. The entire episode was about Hannah (played by Dunham) complaining that her parents won't pay her bills anymore. Really? Seriously? Facebook friends told me to give it another chance so I watched the second episode. This story line featured Hannah getting tested for HIV while making AIDS jokes and a friend getting an abortion. The entire episode was abortion abortion abortion, AIDS AIDS AIDS, abortion abortion abortion. It felt like the writers were trying too hard to be controversial and it ended up feeling forced and cliche. You're not cutting edge just because you set an episode in an abortion clinic. Overall Girls is the epitome of hipster nonsense and the main character Hannah is depressing and unlikable. Thumbs down.

P.S. Forget Girls, give me the 'boys' on Gigolos any day.

P.P.S. Is Gigolos still on?

.

No comments:

Post a Comment