Monday, April 29, 2013

Milestone

As you're probably well aware, I'm not a sport guy. I don't follow sports and I don't care about sports. With that said, I understand their popularity and impact on our society. Even if you follow sports you may have missed a very important story today. I am very happy and proud to report that current NBA player Jason Collins announced today that he's gay. Celebrity coming out stories don't make as many headlines as they used to. That shows some of the progress our culture has made. However this particular story deserves more press. He's the first pro-athlete to make the move and in doing so has broken down numerous. I've been vocal about my distaste for people who announce their sexuality long after their career's peek. Jason did the right thing. He stood up and was honest when it mattered regardless of the consequences.  Good for you Jason! Bravo.

No comments:

Post a Comment