Monday, December 3, 2012

BearCity 2: The Proposal

This is a review of the movie, but I'll warn you before I spoil any plot lines if you haven't seen it yet. 

Yesterday afternoon I was treated to a screening of BearCity 2: The Proposal. I liked it more then I thought I would and I'll admit I teared up at the end. To be honest, I wasn't a huge fan of the first movie so my expectations may have been low. All the same actors and characters come back to develop their story lines a little deeper. My problem with the first film was the two leading characters Tyler and Roger. (and some of the same problems continue into the sequel) Something was missing from their story line and I cared more about the supporting actors. Not to mention it wasn't very believable that Tyler, a supposed chubby daddy bear chaser would end up with Roger and his toned gym body.

Apparently I wasn't the only person with these criticisms because the film makers addressed almost every issue in the sequel making for a much improved film. BearCity 2 opens as Roger proposes to Tyler who's a bit scared of the commitment. Roger's dream is to have his wedding in Ptown so the gang packs up and heads for Bear Week. It was as accurate a portrayal of Bear Week as any fictitious story could be. The comedy and heart of the movie lies on the shoulders of it's supporting characters. Brent (played by Stephen Guarino) steals the show and outshines everyone else! In fact I almost wish he and partner Fred (played by Brian Keane) were the lead characters. Their scenes are hilarious and heart warming. There were plenty winks to the Ptown  including the dick dock, Spiritus pizza, and the boat slip t-dance. If you've never been to Ptown you'll still laugh at C-pap jokes and the Chicago triad rooming upstairs.

*Spoiler Alert* Proceed with caution ;-)

I was glad this movie addressed the issue of the lead characters' mismatched types. Tyler starts flirting with a friendly beefy-bellied bear and Roger reconnects with an old flame. Obviously the two new men complicate matters and cracks start to form leading to their eventual split. I was glad to see the film didn't have the cliche ending of all romantic comedies where all problems are solved and the couple lives happily ever after. Although they remain friends the two do not reunite. As I said, I enjoyed the film and would recommend it to the any of my friends. I enjoyed seeing friends in the background and playing the always fun game "Count how many guys I've had sex with."

Look for Kathy Najimy, who is perfectly cast as Brent's mother Rose. Cameo's include Kevin Smith, Mike Ruiz, Varla Jean Merman, and my favorite round sound mixer DJ Kurt Jo.


Rating: Two Thumbs Up

No comments:

Post a Comment