Saturday, March 10, 2012

An Open Letter to Rihanna


Dear Rihanna,


Let me begin by saying that I'm a big fan and I love your music. You continue to come out with hit singles that fuse R&B rhythms with great dance beats. We Found Love the current hit song from your sixth album Talk the Talk is better then ever. Bravo! At the young age of 23 you've become bona fide superstar.

You are no doubt a busy woman so I'll get to the reason for my correspondence. At one time you were dating Chris Brown until that fateful night when he beat you up. Since then it appeared like you distanced yourself from him and continued on with your career. Any simpathy the public may have had was just washed away when you announced the duet (titled Birthday Cake) with your former abuser. I listened to Birthday Cake and it's a shitty song. Adding in the violent past you shared with Mr. Brown makes the song even more vulgar. Part of me feels bad for you because you're obviously young and lack the self worth to know you deserve better. You probably think he's changed and learned his lesson. That's a load of crap.

Whether you like it or not Rihanna, you're a role model for young women. The choices you make in your personal life have broader consequence. Your actions reinforce the message that a strong and successful woman is pushover for a man. I can hear the Woman's Studies majors churning out their thesis papers as we speak. By supporting you it feels like I'm supporting a PRO-domestic violence charity. Chris Brown has also moved on with his career much to the dismay of the general public. It bordered on offensive when the Grammys had him perform twice. He has every right to live his life but the Grammys didn't need to promote him. What was truly shocking was the wave of tweets and messages that followed the show. Maybe you caught Buzzfeed.com's  25 Extremely Upsetting Reactions to Chris Brown at The Grammys . Many of the posts had a similar tone: "Like I've said multiple times before, Chris Brown can beat me all we wants... I'd do anything to have him oh my." [posted by @kelllllx]

So Rihanna where do you go from here? My (unsolicited) advice is as follows:

1. Do a major TV sit down interview with Oprah. (her network could use the ratings) Distance yourself from Chris and take a public stance against domestic violence
2. Pledge to donate the proceed's from Birthday Cake sales to a women's shelter.
3. Get some much needed therapy.



Sincerely


The Gay Gasp


No comments:

Post a Comment