Sunday, February 19, 2012

Past Tense

My past has been bubbling up a lot lately. Several days ago in I was invited into the Facebook group 2 in 20 Floor Alumni. To give you some background, I went to college at UMass Amherst. While I was there I lived on the 2 in 20 Floor which was a dorm floor set up specifically for GLBT students. (another famous alumni of the floor is JuJubee from Rupaul's Drag Race who lived across the hall from me) It's nice to see pictures and memories from the past but it's also strange to see people I had forgotten about. We all have a main circle of friends with whom we spend most of our time. But there is also a specific group of peripheral people whom are in our lives usually for a very short time. She's the girl who sat behind you in homeroom or he's your freshman year roommate who dropped out after the first semester. All those other people that Facebook has not recognized as 'someone you may know.' It's been fun scrolling through and thinking "Oh wow, I remember him..." I have enough curiosity to check out their Facebook walls but no enough to actual send them a friend request.

I had another twist of fate last night. If you read my post 'The Breakup,' you'll remember I mentioned a falling out with a college friend. If you can believe it,  I saw him last night at a bar in Providence. I was in town with friends for a bear event when he walked in. It's been 8 years since the last time I saw him and he still looks exactly the same. I decided not to go over and say hello because I really don't know how he feels about me. He may be one of the few people from my past that truly HATES me and I can tell you that being on the receiving end of an ambush at a bar is not fun. I didn't want to potentially ruin his night. Years ago I apologized for my bad behavior when our friendship ended but I don't think he's ever forgiven me. (even though he's never apologized to me) I got that hint when he never accepted my friend request on FB last year. I wish him well and I'm curious to see if our paths continue to cross at local bear events.

No comments:

Post a Comment