Monday, June 24, 2013

A Bad Day for Butter

Paula Dean's career is crumbling after a Pandora's box of racism was opened last week. Deen has created an empire including restaurants, tv shows, and books all based on her high calorie southern cooking. I first heard the story through chatter on Facebook. From the headlines, I surmised that Deen was under fire for admitting she has used the N word. At first my reaction was the everyone was over reacting to a minor controversy. Using the N word is never good, but unfortunately its still quite common.




That was my first reaction...

Then I started to read up on the details of the story and my opinion quickly changed. After reading a couple news articles it was clear that this was not an isolated incident but rather the tip of the iceberg. The whole story started because Paula and her restaurant company are currently on trial after allegations of racism and creating a hostile work environment. If you think that's shocking, it gets worse. On top of that, many of the article's provided a long list of past quotes that dig her racist ditch even deeper. She talked about her great grand father and how he was so devastated after his slaves were set free that he was 'driven to suicide.' She also wanted to organize a plantation themed wedding with an all black staff because she had gone to a restaurant with all black waiters.

To quote Deen: "“The whole entire waiter staff was middle-aged black men, and they had on beautiful white jackets with a black bow tie. I mean, it was really impressive. That restaurant represented a certain era in America…after the Civil War, during the Civil War, before the Civil War…It was not only black men, it was black women…I would say they were slaves.” (source Huffington Post)

You've got to be kidding me right?!? Now you're referring to waiters as slaves? Come on! This reminds me of Larry Craig. If you don't remember, Craig was the congressman arrested at the Minneapolis airport for cruising in men's room. His defense was blissful ignorance and that he didn't realize he was giving off cruising signals. I would've believed that until I learned that was not the first accusation of homosexual behavior. Throughout his career he has been accused and caught up in gay rumors and controversy. Similar to Paula Deen, one instance or story may be an stand alone situation where you made a bad choice. However when you back that up with several more stories... now you have a solid case. Sorry Paula Dean, by the powers vested in me by myself, I hear by declare you a racist. *Bang my pretend gavel*

There is a whole separate side to this story because after the fall out she was fired from the Food Network and dropped from several endorsement deals. There has been an outcry of support from fans saying she shouldn't have been fired. New flash... Yes she should have! I whole heatedly support her right to express her views and opinions. However, you can't say whatever you want and expect no consequences. If I walk up to a prison inmate and tell him to fuck off,  I'll be lucky if he only kicks my face in. Do I have the right to say it? Yes. Is it a smart decision? No. Sorry Paula you fucked up and unfortunately the higher you are the farther you have to fall.

A couple final notes:

I lump her in with other people like Donald Trump who are half racist and half idiot. Regardless of my opinion, I have to give Paula Dean some advice. She's handled this scandal terribly. Doesn't she have a PR person? First she cancelled a pre-scheduled interview on the Today show. Then she released a video apology that felt insincere and as uncomfortable as the shitty office and desk chair she was sitting in. She should have done the interview and faced her critics. If you run from your mistakes the public won't forgive you. Remember Hugh Grant's now famous interview on the Tonight Show after being caught with a hooker? He owned up to it and had a hit movie soon after.

If you want to support Paula Deen that's your business. Honestly if she starts to handle the controversy better I think she can come back from it. However, don't get all high and mighty and start chastising people for eating at Chick-fil-A because of their anti-gay politics and then turn around and tell us to give Paula a break. Just because Paula sounds sweet with her southern charm doesn't make her any different. Now that I think of it, that would be a good career move. She should partner up with Chick-fil-A as their new spokes person. Million dollar idea y'all. Gasp!




No comments:

Post a Comment