Wednesday, March 27, 2013

(Maybe) I Was Wrong

This my come as a shock, but sometimes I'm wrong. I'll give you a moment to digest the life changing news...

I can admit when I'm wrong and I owe Justin Timberlake a bit of an apology. In my post "An Open Letter to Justin Timberlake" I was pretty hard on JT for his lack luster 3rd solo album. I still maintain that the 20/20 Experience as a whole is total rubbish, however I need at amend my stance on the song 'Mirrors'. It isn't as awful as I first thought. After several listens it has grown on me. I still hate that its 8 minutes long and if it were cut down to 4 minutes I'd even go so far as to say I like it. The nice melody and the lyrics helped to win me over although the real battle was won when Mirrors gained a very important fan in my boyfriend. His enthusiasm is infectious. 

While we're on the subject of lyrics, I've had a change of heart with regard to another common practice. For a long time I've maintained a strong stance against the practice of typing out song lyrics to express your emotions. Now that I'm in a relationship with a wonderful guy my strict stance has softened a bit. I've decided to give my stamp of approval if the song lyrics are used to express joy and love. In fact the practice can be quite romantic. Remember then ending of the first Sex and the City movie when Carrie finds all of Big's re-typed love letter?! It was romantic despite not being his own words. If you haven't connected the dots yet, yes Russell typed out the lyrics to Mirrors for me and I loved it. (Two birds,one stone) What I realized is that up until now I associated typed song lyrics with anger and dramatic FB posts. Can't you just see the lyrics of an Evanescence song typed to mark a lovers betrayal? Gag. That's still awful and I still don't approve. So to summarize: positive song lyrics for love- thumbs up. Negative lyrics for heart ache- thumbs down. I never said this was a cheerocracy. I can change my rules and opinions
any time I want.

No comments:

Post a Comment