Thursday, January 12, 2012

Reading for Non-Readers


It's not a secret that I hate to read. Therefore I'm as surprised as anyone else to be writing what amounts to a book review. Gasp!  I recently saw Hollywood's version of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and it peaked my interest and I didn't want to wait until the second and third movie came out. (neither of which has started filming) What is a non reader to do? I logged into iTunes and downloaded both audiobooks. I finished book 2, the Girl Who Played with Fire and the Girl Who Kicked the Hornets Nest just began. (don't worry, no spoilers) Played w/ Fire was great because you learn learn more about the back story of the main character Lisbeth Salander. Now I'm only 5 chapters into Hornets Nest, and I'm getting restless. I want to find out the big ending but I also don't want to go through 30 chapters (or 18 hours) to get there. I'm at the point where I just want it to be over. Especially because, like I said, the stories don't get moving until the second half of each book.
The movie version of the Dragon Tattoo was very indicative of the books as a whole. They start out slow and pick up in the second half. While in the theatre, after and hour and a half I turned to my friend (who read the book) and asked "The two main character do meet at some point right?" One thing you loose in the film is the Swedishness of it all. Yes it take place in Sweden. In case you forget that while reading (or in my case listening) the author feels the need to tell you the name of EVERY street that everyone is on or coming from or going to. Vurtiborga, Moltzenplaza, Flookenshtin... I GET IT! WE KNOW IT'S SWEDEN! The studio still plans on making the second and third movies but no filming has begun. As they think about casting, I suggest Tilda Swinton. I don't know what character she'd play, but she looks like someone from Sweden.


No comments:

Post a Comment